SB 330 – The Housing Crisis Act of 2019
SB 330 prohibits local jurisdictions from enacting new laws that would have the effect of reducing the legal limit on new housing within their borders, or delay new housing via administrative or other regulatory barriers. Through its expiration in 2030, SB 330 will:
- Prevent local governments from downzoning unless they upzone an equivalent amount elsewhere within their boundaries
- Suspend the enactment of local downzoning and housing construction moratoriums
- Require timely processing of housing permits that follow zoning rules
- Ensure the demolition of housing does not result in a net loss of units
- Postpone requirements for voter approval of zoning, general plan changes
- Require resettlement benefits and first right of refusal in new units or compensation for rehousing for renters who may be displaced.
Click here for the official fact sheet.
Author: Senator Nancy Skinner (D, SD 9)
SB 330 was signed by the governor on 10/9/2019
Senate Floor (9/6/19): 30 Yes / 4 No
Assembly Floor (9/5/19): 67 Yes / 8 No
Click here for a detailed vote history.