SB 10 makes it easier for cities to zone for smaller, lower-cost housing developments of up to 10 units to address California’s housing crisis.
Current laws can prevent local governments from zoning for smaller, less expensive housing. Even small projects with fewer than 10 homes are often mired in expensive, decades-long legal appeals and litigation. Abuses of the legal process result in the delay or prevention of tens of thousands of homes per year.
SB 10 provides tools for local governments to zone for up to ten homes per parcel in transit-rich areas, or urban infill sites. SB 10 maintains local control, as a local legislative body must pass a resolution to adopt the plan.
By creating a pathway for streamlined upzoning in transit-rich areas, SB 10 allows more Californians, including communities of color, to access high-opportunity and will help alleviate traffic congestion and pollution.
SB 10 is a part of the Senate’s Building Opportunities for All housing package. Learn more about this package of legislation here.
- 9/16/2021: SB 10 was signed by Governor Newsom and chaptered by the Secretary of State. This bill will go into effect on January 1, 2022.
Wiener (D, SD 11)
Atkins (D, SD 39), Caballero (D, SD 12), Robert Rivas (D, AD 30)
- California YIMBY (Sponsor)
- Abundant Housing LA
- American Planning Association, California Chapter
- Bay Area Council
- California Association of Realtors
- California Building Industry Association
- California Community Builders
- Circulate San Diego
- Council of Infill Builders
- Councilmember Zach Hilton, City of Gilroy
- East Bay for Everyone
- Greenbelt Alliance
- Habitat for Humanity California
- Housing Action Coalition
- Los Angeles Business Council
- San Francisco Bay Area Planning and Urban Research Association (SPUR)
- San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART)
- Silicon Valley @ Home
- Silicon Valley Community Foundation
- South Pasadena Residents for Responsible Growth
- TechEquity Collaborative
- The Two Hundred
- Valley Industry and Commerce Association (VICA)
- Zillow Group