Job Opening: Regional Organizing Director – Central California
June 26, 2019
California YIMBY is looking for a highly motivated, tenacious, creative and dynamic individual to serve as the Regional Organizing Director for California’s Central Coast and Central Valley (IE. Santa Cruz, Monterey, Fresno) and join our fast-growing team. You’ll report to the Organizing Director and be a member of our organizing team.About Us
We are a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with the mission of ensuring that California is for everyone and everyone has an affordable place to live. We are creating change by sponsoring statewide legislation to alleviate the housing shortage, along with building and mobilizing a massive grassroots movement to get that legislation passed.
We are in our startup phase so you will have the chance to be at the forefront as we expand into a true statewide grassroots organization with chapters across California.
California YIMBY is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation.
We are deeply committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where our differences broaden our awareness, enrich our experiences and are the basis of our collective strength. People of color, members of underrepresented ethnic or socioeconomic populations and bilingual/multi-lingual speakers are strongly encouraged to apply.We are looking for someone who can:
• Recruit and manage teams of high-performing volunteers across your region to execute the overall state organizing plan.
• Prioritize the relentless training of volunteers and partners as the key to achieving quality and getting great results. Identify critical training needs and work with Organizing Director to create all necessary materials. We’re a team that believes in volunteer empowerment, in developing people who may never have been civically engaged into community leaders. Thus, organizing staff will need to be highly effective trainers themselves. Volunteers are at the center of everything we do, and everything you do will contribute to developing volunteer leadership.
• Develop, write and implement a comprehensive strategic regional organizing extension of the state organizing plan for building the grassroots movement in your region that includes how you will achieve your goals and embodies the vision and mission of the organization.
• Respond quickly to changing political situations and adjust regional organizing plans accordingly.
• Challenge all assumptions: be guided and informed by data, results, and input from the field, and not by the way things have always been done.
• Develop relationships with local partners to maximize capacity and build power. Be a respected voice for organizing to outside partners in your region.
• Work closely and in a highly integrated fashion with all members of the organizing team. Communicate intelligence collected in the field clearly to Organizing Director.
• Collaborate with staff in all departments on ways to promote leadership development amongst your volunteer leaders.We seek someone with the following characteristics:
• You embody the qualities of integrity, openness, honesty, curiosity, inclusion, empowerment and collaboration. You can articulate a compelling and inspiring vision that motivates others.
• You possess a strong sense of humor. Fire, but no drama. Entrepreneurial spirit and a phenomenal work ethic. You are a skilled and swift problem solver. You are absurdly well organized. Calm in a crisis, and with great instincts.
• You have a track record (2+ years/cycles a plus) of successful leadership and management of diverse communities of volunteers to achieve goals.
• Experience in the successful implementation of organizing strategies and advocacy tactics.
• You understand the neighborhood team/snowflake model of community organizing (bonus points if you can demonstrate previous experience implementing it; if you can show you used it to crush goals even better).
• Knowledge of the Story of Self, Us, and Now model of public narrative (it’s a definite plus if you’ve taught it to others).
• Experience with CRM software (like VoteBuilder, EveryAction, Salesforce) to understand and analyze performance, test and judge the efficacy of programs, and hold people you lead accountable to goals.
• Proven ability to be both a highly collaborative teammate and to work independently.
• A strong goal-orientation, a desire to learn and a willingness to receive feedback and hold yourself accountable
• The ability to manage many tasks simultaneously, to work quickly and cooperatively under pressure and to meet deadlines
• Commitment and passion for the empowerment of your fellow Californians to make a change and achieve the California YIMBY mission.
Do you want to help build a statewide volunteer structure to tackle California’s biggest challenge? Do you have compelling thoughts and theories about how to take field programs to the next level? Are you the type of person who sees a blank page as an opportunity to change the world? Do you love being part of a team? We want to hear from you.Compensation
Salary of $48,000/yr, plus a full range of employment benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401k with employer match, paid vacation, sick days and expense reimbursement.
Most staff work remotely from home, and Regional Organizing Directors will be located throughout California based on the need.To Apply
Send a cover letter that includes your personal story along with your resume (both in pdf format and error-free) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Regional Organizing Director.”