Although recent legislation has significantly streamlined the ADU permitting process, in some cases, ambiguities in state law slowed or otherwise hindered the construction of ADUs. AB 881 updates and clarifies the state’s ADU rules to make them easier to build. Specifically, this bill:
- Eliminates the ability of local governments to impose owner-occupancy requirements on ADUs, increasing the pool of rental properties
- Clarifies that garages can be converted into ADUs
- Limits additional criteria that can be used to exclude ADUs
Existing single-family properties in California have the potential for roughly 1.8 million new ADUs. Roughly 85 percent of these are single-family homes where building an ADU pencils out according to current construction costs and rents; the remainder are sites ideal for both an ADU and JADU.
Author: Richard Bloom (D, AD 50)
Sponsor: California YIMBY
AB 881 was signed by the governor on 10/9/2019
Senate Floor (9/13/19): 73 Yes / 0 No
Assembly Floor (9/13/19): 30 Yes / 6 No
As AB 881 was a relatively technical bill, it did not receive much press coverage. Here are some articles covering the package of ADU bills passed in the 2019 legislative session:
California’s New Accessory Dwelling Units Laws: What You Should Know – Forbes
California housing legislation seeks to make it easier to build accessory dwelling units – VC Star
California’s Laws Tackle the Housing Crisis – Globe St
- California Apartment Association
- California Association of Realtors
- Bay Area Council
- CA Building Industry Association
- California Forward Action Fund
- United Dwelling
- TechEquity Collaborative
- Hamilton Families
- Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern
- TMG Partners
- San Francisco Housing Action Coalition
Excited about solving the housing crisis?
Like to read about housing, land use, and urban planning?
The official newsletter of California YIMBY
Contact your legislator
Show your support for our legislative agenda.
Donate to support our agenda
Donate now to support housing for everyone.
Join our Team
Sign up for our Rapid Response Team.