May 27, 2019
Position: Executive Assistant
Status: Regular, full-time, exempt, at-will, 40 hours per week at minimum
Location: Sacramento, CA or Oakland, CA
Date: May 2019
Salary Range: $50,000 – $70,000 commensurate with experience
Posting date: April 5, 2018
Level: Mid-level position
- Paid time off (160 hrs. per yr./max) and sick leave (80 hrs. per year/max);
- 10 paid holidays;
- 99% paid health, dental, and vision for employees, and 50% for dependents;
- 100% paid life and long-term disability insurance for employees;
- Commuter public transportation reimbursement;
- Work-related expense reimbursements; and
- 100% employer match to a 401K plan up to the first 4% of an employee’s wages.
California YIMBY’s mission is to ensure that California is an affordable place to live, work, and raise a family. Your work is critical to achieving our goal of passing a suite of state legislation to end the housing crisis.
Last year, we partnered with Sen. Wiener to sponsor SB 827. Hailed by pundits as possibly the “biggest environmental boon, the best job creator, and the greatest strike against inequality that anyone’s proposed in the United States in decades,” the bill died in committee, but it garnered more than 500 press articles, redefined the scale of the policy response necessary to solve the housing crisis, and positioned us for success in 2019.
This year, we’re co-sponsoring the More HOMES Act, SB 50, with the Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California. The More HOMES Act would permit millions of homes to be built in areas well-served by transit and economic opportunity. One prominent commentator said SB 50 would “fix California’s housing crisis.” Backed by a large (and growing!) coalition of supporters, the More HOMES Act will make 2019 an exciting year for California YIMBY.
You’ll report directly to the CEO, assisting with various executive functions while overseeing your own portfolio of responsibilities.
You will Provide
- Develop agenda and take notes at regular meetings of leadership group
- Note leadership meeting discussions, decisions, and action items for follow-up
- With leadership, set agenda and oversee logistics for all-staff meetings (Current staff size: 15)
- Support the future COO in the creation of key metrics and reporting on strategic goals across programs, and coordinate program leads to deliver regular updates
- Join COO/CEO in regular meetings with Program Directors to provide support and track progress
- Create collateral materials and presentations for internal and external meetings and events.
- Manage the schedule and book travel for the CEO and other staff/volunteers as needed
- Sit in on internal meetings on the CEO’s behalf, and report back
- Provide support for the future COO
- With executive leadership, draft written documentation of internal processes and program functions
- Ensure that process documentation is shared and understood across the organization
Primary qualifications include
- Exceptional project management experience and abilities
- Excellent judgment and creative and diplomatic problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Energetic, detail-oriented, flexible, collaborative, and proactive
- Not afraid to ask questions
- Outstanding written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Passion for ending the housing crisis
Nice qualifications to have
- Knowledge of housing policy and California politics
- Quantitative analysis skills, including GIS, data analysis, and model building
The successful applicant need not have experience in non-profit or political organizations. Candidates with operations experience in retail, manufacturing, warehousing, or family business management are encouraged to apply.
Work Environment & Travel
We hope you’ll work from our Sacramento office or future Oakland co-working space, though we’ll consider remote arrangements for the perfect candidate. Most time is spent in a sedentary office environment and working in the Capitol, though there may be occasional off-site activities that occur outside regular business hours. Applicant must pass a background screening. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ability to travel occasionally for activities such as out-of-town meetings, training, or outreach activities up to 10% of the time. Professional attire required for Legislative and public meetings but not for general office workdays.
Candidates should send a short email with resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Executive Assistant– Will help make California for everyone!” to begin the application process. Based on the application, interviews, and reference checks, one person will be selected for the position.
Applications will be accepted, and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Help us find a great Executive Assistant, and if our new hire tells us you referred them, we’ll send you $1000.
California YIMBY is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation. We are deeply committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where our differences broaden our awareness, enrich our experiences and are the basis of our collective strength. Members of underrepresented ethnic or socioeconomic populations and bilingual/multi-lingual speakers are strongly encouraged to apply. Feel free to contact email@example.com if you have any questions about our commitment to inclusion or about general hiring practices. California YIMBY does not discriminate based on citizenship status. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.