California YIMBY is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization that was formed in 2017, in response to the severe housing crisis in this state. Founded and led by Brian Hanlon, and supported by numerous non-profit, affordable housing, labor, environmental, technology, and business leaders, California YIMBY’s mission is to ensure that California is an affordable place for everyone to live, work, and raise a family, by drafting and advocating for changes to housing laws and practices that impede home building.
California YIMBY is not a traditional political non-profit: it rejects the policy and political status-quo and works to realize fundamental evidence-based change to California’s housing policies, which would benefit tens-of-millions of people. The organization is at the forefront of empowering a movement that has struck a chord with a huge number and diversity of people and organizations. You may read more about its signature housing bill for 2019, SB 50 or the More HOMES Act, here.
The organization is seeking an action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable and innovative COO to help it scale and advance its objectives as quickly and effectively as possible. In addition to strong mission-alignment, the successful candidate will be respected and experienced leader with deep strengths in organizational development and coalition-building.
This position will report to Brian Hanlon, the CEO, and ideally will be located within the Bay Area, Sacramento, or Los Angeles. This role will involve managing a remote team and will require regular travel, so access to reliable, high-speed internet and willingness to travel are important.
This is a hands-on and multifaceted executive management role that will entail:
- Campaign Management: The California YIMBY team includes many seasoned campaign, policy, and political veterans; the COO’s role is to ensure team adherence to a high-level strategy; coordinate directors across departments; help set priorities for allocation of staff and financial resources; and implement the direction of the CEO and board of directors.
- People Management: hiring and managing employees, including helping to create a positive working environment and culture, and supervising HR compliance and administration;
- Strategic Planning: designing and implementing organizational development, pursuing partnerships and coalitions, and ensuring that existing partnerships and coalitions function well;
- Finances & Operations: supervising general operations and legal compliance, and ensuring that sound business practices are in place (including financial, contracts, grants, IT and security)
- Fundraising: assisting the CEO generate support and excitement, inspire confidence, and build strong relationships with donors;
- Daily Tactical Management: general day-to-day trouble-shooting and problem-solving.
- Passion and excitement for California YIMBY’s mission of empowering the grassroots of the YIMBY movement to support evidence-driven policy while remaining neighborly to all voices in the housing debate.
- Significant experience in an executive/leadership role, with a proven track record of developing high-performing teams, and designing and achieving measurable goals
- Superior organizational and project management skills – ability to manage a complex program.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate successfully and connect with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Sophisticated verbal and written communication skills.
- Sound financial judgment, and experience managing (and operating under) a multi-million-dollar budget.
- Solid understanding of and values-alignment with compliance functions (non-profit, HR etc)
- High EQ
- Deep understanding, and practical experience, of running a political campaign
- Experience developing and executing strategic fundraising plans with multiple revenue streams.
- Experience with state/local politics and government planning, especially in the areas of housing, transportation, planning, environment and/or land use
QueensBench is running an exclusive, retained search for this position. Call us for a confidential conversation, to learn more about the opportunity and explore whether there might be a fit.