We are seeking a Development & Data Associate, a new position at California YIMBY. You’ll help grow our fundraising program, manage and report on our organizational data, and implement special projects in coordination with the Director of Philanthropy and Corporate Engagement (Director for short in the rest of this position description). You’ll report to the Director and will need to collaborate with all departments, with the support and guidance of the Director. Our success in data and development efforts will open more opportunities for growth in the organization and advancement for our new Associate.
California YIMBY is a dispersed team with offices in Sacramento and Oakland. We are flexible with where our new Associate is located, and they are welcome but not required to work in either office. The Associate will be expected to be in the Oakland or Sacramento offices up to 2 days per week.
We began investing in the growth of our fundraising department in 2020 and we plan to continue this work by investing in donor acquisition and diversification, improving our data collection, analysis, and real-time reporting capabilities organization-wide, and implementing new fundraising and impact reporting systems. The Development & Data Associate will be a critical contributor to this work. Come join our movement and help transform the built environment of the world’s fifth largest economy, and enable millions of people to benefit from the economic and social mobility that only well-located housing can provide. Together, we can put California back on a path of broad-based economic prosperity, and create vibrant, inclusive, and livable communities for everyone.
Location: Preference for San Francisco Bay Area or Sacramento
Salary: 50k-60k depending on experience + health insurance (with dependents options), vision and dental, 4 weeks paid vacation, 401K with employer contributions, life insurance, and disability insurance.
Apply by: rolling applications accepted, but 1st review of applicants will happen on July 30, 2021.
Expected start date: ASAP preferred, but flexible.
WHO WE ARE
California YIMBY’s mission is to make California an affordable place to live, work, and raise a family. Right now, millions of Californians live in crowded and substandard housing, with high rent burdens, exposure to health risks, and multi-hour commutes. As a result, many Californians are leaving the state, and fewer would-be Californians are immigrating. For many companies, the astronomical cost of housing is driving them to hire talent in other states. We need to reverse this trend, and we can.
California’s housing shortage—and the affordability, environmental, equity, and health crises it has caused—is the result of decades of deliberate policies to limit the supply of housing. Building affordable, dense housing is currently illegal in the majority of urban California, but it doesn’t have to be. If we change our housing and land use laws, we could build millions of new homes in existing urban areas without displacing incumbent communities.
The goal of California YIMBY’s $3.5M yearly effort is to build a movement and pass legislation to end the housing shortage. Founded in 2017, California YIMBY has helped pass eight pro-housing bills which will enable at least 1.5 million more homes to be built in California. We’ve built a membership of over 80,000 Californians, 20 local YIMBY Teams, 3 pro-housing coalitions, and we’re just getting started.
Our vision is of a California where neighbors welcome new neighbors of all backgrounds, and current residents are not displaced from their communities.
- We believe in neighborliness, and that communities are enriched and strengthened by openness and diversity. We believe that California holds the promise of opportunity for all: the chance to start a new life, the freedom to be our authentic selves, the promise of prosperity, the lure of our natural wonders.
- We believe in empowerment, and support those who want to accommodate new neighbors while ensuring that new developments take place without displacement. We believe that existing residents have a right to remain in their neighborhoods. We make an effort to seek out and include people with varied backgrounds, experiences and identities to inform our agenda and priorities. We do not tolerate intolerance.
- We pursue excellence in every aspect of our work — from the policies we design and support, to the way we interact with our colleagues, allies, partners, and elected officials. We believe trustworthiness is a pillar of human progress. We are passionate advocates for more housing, and insist on holding ourselves to account. We believe in evidence-based decision making. When we learn something new, we change our views to accommodate our learnings.
DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Data & Reporting
- Day-to-day administration of the Salesforce database, including syncing records between Action Network and Salesforce, duplicate management, and donation and advocacy/organizing data entry.
- Report building and dashboard creation and analysis of organizing and fundraising data.
- Track contributed revenue against fundraising goals; providing regular reporting and analysis to ensure that the Development department is being strategic in all fundraising activities.
- Train and support staff in proper use of the database including creating and sharing up-to-date Standard Operating Procedures for data entry and reporting.
Donor Cultivation, Solicitation, and Stewardship
- Actively understand, reflect, and promote California YIMBY to prospects, donors and the public, effectively communicating the urgency and need for housing reform and helping build support for California YIMBY’s work.
- Support the Director with management of major donors portfolios, and corporate and grassroots giving programs.
- Assist the Director in drafting external communications for a donor audience on a regular basis, including proposals, grant reports, stewardship messages, and contribute to the drafting and production of California YIMBY’s annual report.
- Prepare donor prospect briefs and lists including giving history, interests, and wealth screening data.
- Partner with the Director on planning and execution of donor cultivation events. Some travel within California may be required.
- Manage the Salesforce CRM and impact reporting systems roll out to all staff.
- Coordinate the implementation of new organization-wide measurement and evaluation systems with accompanying business processes. This system will be designed by an evaluation expert and strategy and guidance for this implementation will come from the COO and Director.
- Track and administer CA YIMBY technology subscriptions and manage renewal process.
- Provide technology support for virtual events.
- Support maintenance and updates of website and other technology systems with training.
A successful candidate will likely have:
- Strong communication skills; articulate, with demonstrated ability to write clearly, persuasively, and concisely.
- Experience working in fundraising at a nonprofit or for a political campaign.
- Familiarity with Salesforce (or similar CRM tools), Action Network (or similar email marketing tools), ActBlue (or similar donation platforms), or general database administration.
- Data analysis experience and/or comfort manipulating large spreadsheets.
- Excellent relationship-building skills and ability to build rapport with internal and external stakeholders.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Experience working respectfully and successfully with audiences and from diverse backgrounds and interests and leaders of color.
- Superior organizational skills, with a strong sense of detail-orientation.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, with multiple projects, tight schedules and short deadlines.
- Evidence of strategic thinking and an ability to manage and implement change.
- Demonstrates integrity, transparency, honesty, sound judgement, and ability to uphold high standards of confidentiality.
- Excited to pursue all the above duties and essential job functions to help end California’s housing shortage and affordability crisis.
- Demonstrated passion for improving the lives of others through systems change.
- Intellectually curious and proactive; enthusiasm to learn and adopt new technologies.
- Comfortable asking for help, but confident enough to try on your own.
- Possesses a sense of humor and the ability to employ it appropriately.
- Experience working on housing policy, other public policy advocacy.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Data & Development Associate in the subject line.
California YIMBY is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.