California YIMBY is seeking a Policy Director to help define, shape, and guide our policy agenda, coordinate policy efforts with partner organizations, write policy briefs, op-eds, and other content for the public, and represent California YIMBY at events and in public.
The Policy Director will serve as a member of California YIMBY’s leadership team, report directly to the CEO, and develop California YIMBY’s policy agenda, including identifying policy areas beyond housing to make California affordable, inclusive, sustainable, and joyous for everyone.
The Policy Director will:
- Define and manage California YIMBY’s policy agenda, which will shape our legislative advocacy and inform our research program. California YIMBY’s policy agenda may expand beyond housing to include transportation, climate, and other issue areas.
- Analyze policy proposals.
- Write policy papers, briefs, and content explaining housing policy.
- Work with the communications team to publicize our policy agenda for non-specialist audiences.
- Draft responses to fallacious policy proposals and media claims.
- Represent California YIMBY at events and in the media through press interviews, op-eds, blogs, and social media.
- Be available to advocate for legislation and lobby if need be.
- Collaborate with senior staff to write grants and other development efforts
Possess strong writing and communication skills, strong organizational, analytical, and project management abilities, and be comfortable working on a distributed team. Have experience analyzing policy and drafting policy proposals. The successful applicant will have a passion to end the housing crisis and a minimum of 2 years of relevant professional or academic experience, including managerial experience.
A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience leading policy for a growing and high-profile advocacy organization, with a focus in at least one of the following areas: urban policy, affordable housing, transportation, or land use. Expertise in climate policy and drafting legislation is also desired. Knowledge of federal, state, and municipal housing programs or land-use regulations is strongly preferred.
Email your resume, cover letter, and two-three pieces for which you were the sole or principal author to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates who reach the second interview stage will be asked to provide professional or academic references as well as additional work samples
Location: Sacramento preferred, must be based in California and willing to travel to Sacramento and Oakland often, and elsewhere in the state occasionally.
Salary: Competitive with great benefits. Salary dependent upon experience.