Director of Government Affairs
Who We Are
California YIMBY is a statewide housing advocacy organization dedicated to ending California’s housing shortage and making our state an affordable place for everyone to live, work and raise a family. We work with housing policy experts and elected officials, along with grassroots and grasstops advocates, to craft and pass transformative legislation at the state and local levels designed to accelerate home building, break down exclusionary barriers to housing, and reduce the impacts of climate change.
Founded in 2017, we are already 80,000 members strong and have led on passing 17 bills to date – and we are just getting started. Come join our high-impact team and help build a California where millions of people can benefit from expanded economic and social opportunities. Together, we can create a vibrant, inclusive, and livable California for everyone!
California YIMBY is seeking a dynamic and talented Director of Government Affairs to develop and promote our legislative, regulatory, and fiscal agenda while leading our advocacy efforts to secure reforms that will positively impact millions of Californians.
As a critical member of our leadership team, the Director of Government Affairs will:
- Be California YIMBY’s point person in the capital and act as a trusted resource to lawmakers, staff, and consultants. You will educate, lobby, and cultivate relationships within the Legislature to garner critical support for priority legislation and ensure that CA YIMBY remains a premier housing abundance and affordability resource
- Design and direct all aspects of CA YIMBY’s legislative and advocacy program within California YIMBY’s policy framework
- Lead and manage our internal legislative team (currently two staff) and contract lobbyists
- Draft housing-focused legislation (with future issue expansion into transportation and climate) in coordination with our policy team, legislative staff, and external stakeholders
- Design and oversee a system for bill and amendment analysis
- Collaborate with our communications team to publicize our legislative agenda for non-specialist audiences
- Coordinate with YIMBY organizations and volunteers to ensure California YIMBY effectively represents their interests in Sacramento and keep constituents apprised of relevant legislative developments
- Represent California YIMBY at events and in the media as needed
Diversity. Equity. Inclusion.
These are not just words at California YIMBY. Representation matters, especially in our work to end the housing crisis, which has disproportionately impacted communities of color. We strive to build a YIMBY movement that reflects California’s rich diversity, and we actively seek diverse
candidates with broad professional and lived experiences.
California YIMBY is proudly committed to providing equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate and administer all personnel actions without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), gender, gender expression, genetic information, sexual orientation, political affiliation, race, religious creed, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and related medical conditions), family or caregiver status. California YIMBY will consider candidates with arrest and conviction records.