We are seeking a highly motivated, tenacious, and creative professional to serve as our Director of Digital Strategy. This position reports directly to the Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, and will be a senior role at the organization. You will be responsible for managing every element of California YIMBY’s online presence & communications, which will be focused on mobilizing and growing our movement of 80,000+ list of supporters who advocate for legislation, contact their elected officials, tell their housing stories online, and participate in our online community.
California YIMBY is a predominantly remote team with staff across California and offices in Sacramento and Oakland. The Director of Digital Strategy can be based anywhere in the US.
Come join our movement and help transform the built environment of the world’s fifth largest economy, and enable millions of people to benefit from the economic and social mobility that only abundant, affordable, and well-located housing can provide. Together, we can put California back on a path of broad-based economic prosperity, and create vibrant, inclusive, and liveable communities for everyone.
Location: Remote work available anywhere in US
Salary: 100K-130K depending on experience + health insurance (with dependents options), vision and dental, 4 weeks paid vacation, sick leave, 401K with employer contributions, life insurance, and disability insurance
WHO WE ARE
California YIMBY’s mission is to make California an affordable place to live, work, and raise a family. Right now, millions of Californians live in crowded and substandard housing, with high rent burdens, exposure to health risks, and multi-hour commutes. As a result, many Californians are leaving the state, and fewer would-be Californians are immigrating. For many companies, the astronomical cost of housing is driving them to hire talent in other states. We need to reverse this trend, and we can.
California’s housing shortage—and the affordability, environmental, equity, and health crises it has caused—is the result of decades of deliberate policies to limit the supply of housing. Building affordable, dense housing is currently illegal in the majority of urban California, but it doesn’t have to be. If we change our housing and land use laws, we could build millions of new homes in existing urban areas without displacing incumbent communities.
The goal of California YIMBY’s $3.5M yearly effort is to build a movement and pass legislation to end the housing shortage. Founded in 2017, California YIMBY has helped pass a variety of pro-housing bills which will enable at least 1.5 million more homes to be built in California. We’ve built a membership of over 80,000 Californians, 20 local YIMBY Teams, 3 pro-housing coalitions, and we’re just getting started.
Diversity. Equity. Inclusion. These are not just words at California YIMBY. These values are key to furthering our mission to make California an affordable place to live, work, and raise a family. Representation matters, especially in our work to end the housing crisis. A crisis that, by design, continues to disproportionately impact communities of color. To address that historic and ongoing inequity, we are building a YIMBY movement that reflects California’s rich diversity and we actively seek diverse candidates with broad professional and lived experience.
Our vision is of a California where neighbors welcome new neighbors of all backgrounds, and current residents are not displaced from their communities.
- We believe in neighborliness, and that communities are enriched and strengthened by openness and diversity. We believe that California holds the promise of opportunity for all: the chance to start a new life, the freedom to be our authentic selves, the promise of prosperity, the lure of our natural wonders.
- We believe in empowerment, and support those who want to accommodate new neighbors while ensuring that new developments take place without displacement. We believe that existing residents have a right to remain in their neighborhoods. We make an effort to seek out and include people with varied backgrounds, experiences and identities to inform our agenda and priorities. We do not tolerate intolerance.
- We pursue excellence in every aspect of our work — from the policies we design and support, to the way we interact with our colleagues, allies, partners, and elected officials. We believe trustworthiness is a pillar of human progress. We are passionate advocates for more housing, and insist on holding ourselves to account. We believe in evidence-based decision making. When we learn something new, we change our views to accommodate our learnings.
DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide a digital strategy roadmap—and implement that plan—for the organization and all of its priority legislation (specific bills will often require tailored digital campaigns); work closely with the senior leadership of the organization to socialize and validate your digital roadmap alongside key organizational priorities
- Oversee and project-manage all out-bound digital communications, including but not limited to email, social media, and the website; draft content as needed for each platform
- Oversee all California YIMBY digital advertising; with yearly budgets in the tens of thousands
- Be laser-focused on opportunities to grow and strengthen California YIMBY’s online movement, email list, action takers
- Manage all digital vendors and consultants
- Work closely with the Director of Philanthropy and Corporate Engagement to drive online fundraising through email
- Utilize a firm understanding of the digital organizing tactics that have fueled online and offline action prior to and during the COVID-19 pandemic to continue advising California YIMBY on how to best drive action through online organizing; work closely with the Distributed Organizing Manager and Senior Director of Community Impact to create the tools and content that mobilize pro-housing advocates across the state
- Develop actionable reports, memos and other deliverables as required to achieve our organizational goals
- Manage digital partnerships with pro-housing allies organizations
- Work closely with the Communications Director to continue building the pro-housing movement and California YIMBY’s online-brand, educational materials, and more; based on digital data, polling, and feedback we get from the ground.
A successful candidate will likely have:
- 6-10 years in the digital strategy space, with at least 3 years managing digital campaigns or staff to accomplish organizational goals.
- Demonstrated experience and enthusiasm for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and in the YIMBY and pro-housing movements. Candidates with diverse backgrounds and identities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Successful online movement building experience; especially in communities of color
- A deep understanding of the digital strategies, tools and tactics that drive people to take action online, with a passion for keeping up with changes in the digital / social media industries.
- Experience drafting crisis and/or rapid-response communications
- Previous experience working with and managing digital consultants and vendors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated ability to articulate a compelling and inspiring vision that motivates others, along with excellent copy-editing of others’ work.
- Familitary with the essential tools of digital strategists—such as NGP/EveryAction, ActionNetwork, Facebook Ads Manager, Squarespace, OutreachCircle, Greenfly, TikTok—we don’t expect you to know everything or every tool, but we expect you to be a quick learner
- Experience with Canva and familiarity with graphic design broadly is preferred, but not required for outstanding candidates
- Experience with digital advertising, setting budgets, running ads and reporting on results
- Strong goal-orientation; ready to thrive in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects; working quickly and cooperatively to meet deadlines
- Excited to pursue all the above duties and essential job functions to help end California’s housing shortage and affordability crisis
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter in PDF format at this application link. Please note that if you don’t have a Gmail account, you can still apply by sending your resume and cover letter, in PDF format, to email@example.com with the subject line “Director of Digital Strategy” application.