DIRECTOR OF GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS
WHO WE ARE
California YIMBY is a statewide housing advocacy organization dedicated to ending
California’s housing shortage and making our state an affordable place for everyone to live, work and raise a family. We work with housing policy experts and elected officials, along with grassroots and grasstops advocates, to craft and pass transformative legislation at the state and local levels designed to accelerate home building, break down exclusionary barriers to housing, and reduce the impacts of climate change.
Founded in 2017, we are already 80,000 members strong and have led on passing 17 bills to date – and we are just getting started. Come join our high-impact team and help build a California where millions of people can benefit from expanded economic and social opportunities. Together, we can create a vibrant, inclusive, and livable California for everyone!
California YIMBY is seeking a dynamic and talented Director of Government Affairs to develop and promote our legislative, regulatory, and fiscal agenda while leading our advocacy efforts to secure reforms that will positively impact millions of Californians.
As a critical member of our leadership team, the Director of Government Affairs will:
- Be California YIMBY’s point person in the capital and act as a trusted resource to lawmakers, staff, and consultants. You will educate, lobby, and cultivate relationships within the Legislature to garner critical support for priority legislation and ensure that CA YIMBY remains a premier housing abundance and affordability resource
- Design and direct all aspects of CA YIMBY’s legislative and advocacy program within California YIMBY’s policy framework
- Lead and manage our internal legislative team (currently two staff) and contract lobbyists
- Draft housing-focused legislation (with future issue expansion into transportation and climate) in coordination with our policy team, legislative staff, and external stakeholders
- Design and oversee a system for bill and amendment analysis
- Collaborate with our communications team to publicize our legislative agenda for non-specialist audiences
- Coordinate with YIMBY organizations and volunteers to ensure California YIMBY effectively represents their interests in Sacramento and keep constituents apprised of relevant legislative developments
- Represent California YIMBY at events and in the media as needed
EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- Proven expert ability to navigate the legislative process and cultivate support across lines to promote and successfully pass complex sponsored legislation
- Minimum of 7 years of experience designing successful legislative campaigns, including at least 2 years of direct leadership experience
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills – articulate, succinct, persuasive, sincere
- Ability to build consensus across differences including, but not limited to, lived experience and political ideology
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical and project management abilities, including ability to work on a distributed team
- Excellent people management skills; track record of success mentoring and developing team members
- Success working in a high-tempo legislative environment
- Flexibility and a sense of humor
- Preferred but not required:
- At least one year of experience as a Legislative Director or Chief of Staff for a member of the California Legislature who has authored bills in urban policy, housing, transportation, or land use
- Knowledge of federal, state, and municipal housing programs or land use regulations
DIVERSITY. EQUITY. INCLUSION.
These are not just words at California YIMBY. Representation matters, especially in our work to end the housing crisis, which has disproportionately impacted communities of color. We strive to build a YIMBY movement that reflects California’s rich diversity, and we actively seek diverse
candidates with broad professional and lived experiences.
California YIMBY is proudly committed to providing equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate and administer all personnel actions without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), gender, gender expression, genetic information, sexual orientation, political affiliation, race, religious creed, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and related medical conditions), family or caregiver status. California YIMBY will consider candidates with arrest and conviction records.
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS & LOCATION
This is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the Chief Operating Officer. The Director of Government Affairs will supervise two staff members, in addition to contractors, and partner closely with the CEO and senior leadership team. We anticipate a starting salary in the range of $120,000-$140,000, depending on experience.
The benefits package includes: fully paid health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance coverage; retirement plan with employer contribution; generous technology and cell phone subsidies and reimbursements; 20 days of paid vacation, 10 days of paid sick leave and 10 paid holidays per year; training and professional development opportunities; and the ability to work from home in Sacramento for much of the time. We are hardworking and passionate advocates who strive to ensure a sustainable and healthy balance through efficient working practices and respect for each other’s personal lives.
This role will be based in Sacramento, California, with occasional travel required. We are open to candidates who are able to relocate permanently to Sacramento by December 1, 2023 (the target start date for this position)
QueensBench has been retained by California YIMBY to conduct an exclusive search for this
position. To be considered, please send your resume, cover letter and contact details to Sarah Blumling at email@example.com and Leigh Maurus at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The priority application deadline for this role is August 13, 2023. Applications received after this date will still be reviewed, but preference will be given to candidates who meet the deadline.